What's a 'Science Princess' Doing in an Ice Field In Alaska? > 자유게시판

본문 바로가기

What's a 'Science Princess' Doing in an Ice Field In Alaska?

페이지 정보

작성자 Alta Bevins 댓글 0건 조회 36회 작성일23-11-01 13:16

본문

What's a 'Science Princess' doing in an ice icefield game field in Alaska?

Published29 July 2019

While Celeste Labedz knew quite a few fellow scientists would admire the picture of her dressed up as a "glaciologist Princess Elsa", she had no concept the picture would turn out to be a viral hit with greater than 10,000 "likes" on Twitter.

She tweeted: "I firmly imagine that children should not be taught that girly issues and sciencey issues are mutually unique. Therefore, I packed a cape with my fieldwork gear just to point out what glaciologist Princess Elsa would appear like. #SciencePrincess #TheColdNeverBotheredMeAnyway".

The cryoseismologist informed BBC News: "I posted the picture because I thought it could resonate with different scientists.

"I used to be heading out to Alaska's Juneau Icefield to carry out analysis and I thought it can be a number of fun.

"The cape folded up really small so I had it in my backpack. When we had a break, I took it out.

"I wasn't expecting it to have the impact it had and to spread up to now. It's had such a constructive response. Individuals are exhibiting it to their kids and that makes me completely satisfied."

The reaction was so overwhelming she posted a number of different images from her trip, together with a link to Nasa details about glaciers.

Allow Twitter content?

This article incorporates content material offered by Twitter. We ask in your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and different applied sciences. Chances are you'll need to read Twitter’s cookie coverage, external and privateness policy, exterior before accepting. To view this content material choose ‘accept and continue’.

Celeste and her mum, Cynthia, had originally made the cape to make use of in a Halloween costume depicting Princess Elsa from the Disney movie.

And when she had the thought to pose in the field, Celeste requested Cynthia to send the cape over from her residence state of Nebraska to the California Institute of Technology, in Pasadena, so she could match it in her baggage for the journey to Alaska.

"I beloved Cinderella while growing up but Princess Elsa is my favorite Disney character - she loves ice," Celeste mentioned.

Having posed for the picture, Celeste had to wait earlier than posting it to Twitter, as there was no mobile phone sign on the glacier.

She used a digital digital camera to take all of the pictures while out on the journey.

"Once I bought back, it was about sifting by way of and sorting those for analysis out first and then trying via the Elsa footage," she said.

"It took a couple of days. But I also spent numerous time fascinated about what I was going to put in writing."

That picture of Celeste standing within the ice discipline - the place she was investigating the use of seismometers to detect earthquakes on glaciers - also prompted others to showcase their footage, with scientists sharing their own versions of what it is prefer to be a "Science Princess" and dad and mom highlighting how useful Celeste's image was for children needing a job model.

"It was amazing," Celeste mentioned. "I beloved seeing some of the biologists holding furry animals. One was with a dog, one other with an alligator."

Her own interest in science was inspired by her dad and mom. Her father labored on the University of Nebraska State Museum.

"I basically grew up in a natural history museum," Celeste stated.

"I do science on ice. I'm learning geophysics and my research is targeted on attempting to determine how helpful seismology may be to assist perceive glaciers."

However, the journey on which she took the image that is gone viral was one which had to be unexpectedly lower brief.

"Unfortunately it wasn't that cold," Celeste stated. "We've been having a warmer summer season and local weather change does play a big position in this.

댓글목록